Thursday, December 29, 2011

Daily Routine


I’ve been at site a little over two weeks now trying to adjust to my village and living on my home. It’s a weird time of year for teacher’s, however, as school is not in session and I can’t really lesson plan yet since I don’t know what level I am teaching. But incase you’re interested this is roughly what I have been up to these two weeks:

-Waking up at 7! Aka Sleeping in!
-Making myself a cup of coffee and reading a book
-Washing my dishes and cleaning my house.
-Washing some clothes (somedays)
-Going out into the community to buy whatever random household items I need and socializing with people aka explaining who I am and what I’m doing for several hours on end (its exhausting)
-Coming home and reading a book/napping
-Working out usually a deck, an hour of yoga, and some sprints on the soccer field
-cooking myself dinner
-Heating up a pot of water and showering while listening to Voice of America (I wonder what they would think of that)
-reading by candlelight until I pass out.

During these two weeks I’ve managed to read all of the twilight series, reread Chelsea handler, read Wuthering Heights, and start War and Peace. I’ve also started a mural out of chalk on my wall. Cooking wise I’ve made several pasta sauces, figured out how to cook rice at altitude, made amazing mango chutney and no bake oatmeal cookies. So I believe its safe to say that once you add in teaching during the school year, my occasional social visits, weekly trips to the market and occasional trips to my banking town, this is pretty much how I’ll be spending my life for the next to years. It’s quite boring considering I’m somehow on the biggest adventure of my life, but everyday brings its own little triumphs and surprises and I can only imagine it will get better when school starts.

Oh and my electricity has been out since I moved in because the students are not in school so that should add a significant amount of joy to my life when it turns back on! Hope your days are much more interesting J

No comments:

Post a Comment