Thursday, December 29, 2011

Reflections


Here it is, I’ve lived in Rwanda for 3 months. Three whole months a very white girl has managed to survive here in Africa. It hasn’t been easy, or pretty, or well-organized and it hasn’t always been fun.  But damn has it been an adventure. Already in 3 months I have done things I never thought I would do, seen things that I never contemplated, and been confronted with realities of third world life and the stark contrast it poses to the existence that we Americans have come to enjoy. I’ve learned a lot too, as one could imagine, in my time here in Kamonyi. So before I move on to the next stage, move to Nyamagabe and start re-establishing myself as a member of my community here are the things that I’ve learned:

-Check your mosquito net for holes before sleeping under it, because it will do you no good if the mosquitos can get in.
-Even after you know the language, sometimes feigning ignorance is the easiest way to deal with Rwandans.
-Always bring your own toilet paper.
-Some people will never stop calling you Muzungu, will never stop staring, will never stop laughing when you speak Kinyarwanda and will never accept you as a member of your community. They are completely not worth your time.
-Despite having to be culturally sensitive, it is ok to say that  you do not eat things for religious reasons. I use this excuse frequently with tongue, liver, heart, and intestine. I’m not sure what religion bars the eating of these things but I don’t feel all that bad about lying.
-There are some things that you just have to grit your teeth and do, regardless of how much you don’t want to, or it doesn’t make sense, or its absolutely batshit crazy. Its just easier to do it than to explain why you won’t.
-The people you meet in the Peace Corps are the some of the kindest, quirkiest, most interesting, more accomplished people I have ever met. And after 3 months I would already trust them with my life and have realized that my training group is 36 people that will never be far from my heart.
-Cleanliness is relative.
-Mice, not as scary as many Americans make them out to be.
-In all the fundamental ways that make us human, people are the same. At the end of the day the basics always translate, emotions are universal, and tears or a smile seem to elicite the same response regardless of culture.
-Children will play and dance with you, always, and it will make your day.
-This is a big daunting job, and you can’t approach it like you’re going to change the world. Each day you just have to be your best self, which is hard, but that will make the most lasting impact.
-Mud is a creation of the devil that was created only to punish humans.
-I have something to do for Peace Corps, is the most effective excuse to get out of absolutely anything you don’t want to do.
-Having an adequate supply of water and power bars is a life saver.
-People in stressful situations are capable of bonding much quicker than is normal.
-Certain cultural norms are just going to have to be ignored. For example on those days when you really need a beer; have one.
-People are resilient, and even if you don’t agree with it they are capable of ignoring great tragedies.
-You can,  in fact, live on almost essentially on unflavored carbs, but you won’t like it.
-Sometimes a hug or mac and cheese or a cup of coffee fixes everything.
-It really is the small things in life.
-Having a sense of humor, and a rather dark one at that, might be the best preparation I ever had to survive this country and this job for two years.
-Your hair and skin is fascinating and will be touched by all manor of strangers.


At the end of the day, this isn’t a glamorous job. There are days where you will ball like a child, or be deathly ill, or scream at a kid. But ultimately it is always worth it. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment