Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A day in the life...


After all the tedious lesson planning and language lessons were over (and fairly uneventful) today, I went home with sue to play with her little host siblings and neighbors. It’s common knowledge among the trainees that having small children to play with is an enviable situation. They are better language teachers because really their skills are pretty on par with ours, they’re more forgiving and they’re just so darn cute. Today we busted out the bubbles, fun fact bubbles are probably the coolest thing in the entire world. These kids go nuts and  hunt down every last bubble. The bubble party obviously turned into a dance party when the music turned on and I taught 9 rwandan children how to do the “Superman that ho” dance, hopefully they didn’t understand the lyrics, and now they start doing it whenever they see me. Victory. The chicken dance was far less popular, clearly these kids are too hip for me, and the duggie proved to be too difficult. One of the munchkins must have seen a few Jackie Chan movies because the whole affair ended with me fake kung fu fighting a large group of 9 year olds with the occasional cartwheel and roll mixed in. There was also, naturally, a chicken involved in the fray and a large audience laughing at the Muzungus antics. All in all I considered it a success except that my host sisters saw me and now my excuse of “ I don’t dance” has had to be modified to “I don’t dance with anyone over the age of 12” far less convincing I’m afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment