Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Random Rwanda Thoughts


-       Life without electricity, in a place where the sun goes down at 6pm is VERY different. I know this sounds self-explanatory and I hate to be that person but until you’ve experienced it you have no idea.
-       Eating in public is considered rude in Rwanda.
-       There are 16 noun classes in Kinyarwanda, the language I’m supposed to be learning, lord help us all.
-       A lot of the other girls have had problems with people touching their hair but not a single person has touched mine.
-       Men hold hands in the street quite frequently.
-       The condoms in my Peace Corps medical kit are called Camo-x Premium Protection and have an army camoflauge pattern on the packaging which I find hysterical. I’m not exactly sure why.
-       Mosquito nets, despite looking like a princess canopy, are considerably  less regal and more annoying
-       Headlamps never fail to make you feel like  a nerd.
-       Everyone here loves Justin Beiber, he is inescapable
-       When every small adorable toddler wants to be your friend you can’t help but feel like a boss.
-       Despite people’s warnings about children asking me for money it has only happened to me once so far and my host sister who was there told him, “she is Rwandan now you do not ask her that”
-       My host sister’s love Chuck Norris and think he is a big celebrity in America. They’re also obsessed with the movie Prison Break which I’ve never seen.
-       Barack Obama is used to advertise everything, the favorite that I have seen so far is a flashlight with an American flag pattern and obama’s face on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment