Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Comfort Food"

It happens every now and then here that we make our way to a big market town and eat lunch or dinner in a “western” restaurant. Each time we over-indulge ourselves like we’re eating the last pizza in America and each time there is a similar sentiment of mild dissapointment. I’ve had this experience now with Pizzas, Chinese food, and bagels. Although the ingredients and presentation are the same the final product is somehow vastly different from what you imagined only moments before consumption. Sometimes I think it would be better to just order the pizza, sniff it and walk away from the table because everything from there is downhill. But in reality the sadder part – and maybe it shows how much I’m already adjusting to life here – is how much I’m starting to enjoy this faint taste of familiarity. Maybe a full blown pizza would just be too much for my variety starved palate too handle. Or maybe someone should mail me one anyway just so I can test it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment