Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Soldier Boy that Muzungu


Today I was walking home a little bit later than I should have been, and by that I mean 6:30, when a swarm of small children started chasing me down the street. Now try to picture this scene. Its pitch black out with no moon and no electricity and all I hear is about 15 little pairs of feet speeding to catch me in the dark. I had my laptop on me because I’d charged it that day at the center and I was still a mile from home. This was not good. We’ve had enough safety and security lessons for me to know  I was about to become a statistic, I was going to get robbed. Once the little thieves caught up to me though I realized they were shouting a chorus of “Micheleyyy Micheleyyyy.” They were MY pack of little boys!! I just hadn’t recognized them in the dark! We did the soldier boy dance – the reason they know me  - the whole way home! It sounds like such a small moment but it was really incredible and made me feel so happy and safe!  

No comments:

Post a Comment