Monday, October 3, 2011

Teacher Observations


As we will soon be in charge of leading our own Rwandan classrooms this week we began observing classrooms of students in our own communities. Yesterday, Michael and I (ya that really messed everyone up that we essentially had the same name ) sat in the back of a Senior 1 Level class for Kinyarwanda and English lessons – Senior one is 12-13 year olds. The Kinyarwanda lesson became quite chaotic as the teacher was distracted and more interested in translating the lesson to Michael and I, (and ultimately really just me) than his students. The flirting of the male teacher’s and the fact that I could hear the word “Ingaragu” (single) several times when the flock of female volunteers entered the teacher’s lounge confirmed a lot of the other volunteers stories of their schools, but such is life.
            On the whole the lessons were interested and showed that classroom management, lesson planning, and overall classroom behavior was very different in Rwanda. The most shocking I think was that instead of quietly raising their hands, students who wanted to speak loudly snapped – like the snap guys use to pack a dip can – above their heads and yelled “please teacher” in English. We immediately decided we are implementing the American hands system in our classrooms.
            Throughout the entire two lessons one girl sat staring at me with her head on her desk and I’m sure didn’t learn a single thing. When I was walking home several hours later the same girl, and 3 friends, came sprinting up the road behind me shouting “Michele” and wanted to introduce themselves and talk to me. Obviously the conversation took the typical turn it does in Rwanda, even with 12 years olds:

-How old are you?
- 22
- Are you married?
-No, I’m too young are you.
- haha no we are too young but you are old. Do you have a fiancé/?
-No, I’m too young for that do you?
- hahha no no! you are not young! Do you have children? (which they are just saying to be cheeky because that would be very bad here)
-No what kind of person do you think I am?
-(More laughter) Well then you should find a husband in Rwanda because you are pretty and not very young.

I’m starting to just come up with sarcastic answers to these questions. I told some old women the other day that I was widow because I married an old man for his money and he died. They laughed but I’m not sure if sarcasm translates so now people may really think I’m a gold digger. Such is life.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment