Sunday, November 13, 2011

Budget


This might not be the most exciting post but I thought I’d fill everyone in a little bit on my financials because I get a lot of questions about it. Currently during training we don’t make a full salary because our home stay families provide us with most meals. This means we get a “walk around” allowance of 37,000 RWF every 2 weeks or 74,000RWF a month. The exchange rate is 1 USD to 600 RWF so we are making roughly 120 American Dollars a month. Not exactly a 6 figure salary but as you can imagine we are still very highly paid compared to locals. Here are some of the local prices so you can guage how much money that really is:

Bunch of onions – 100RWF
3 Small green peppers  - 200RWF
Sambusa – 100RWF
Lunch – 800 – 1000RWF
Bottle of water - 300 RWF
Soda – 250 RWF
Beer – 600-900RWF
Amandazi (Rwandan Donut) – 100RWF
Phone minutes – are bought in 250RWF chunks and a call costs 30/minute
Internet minutes are the same as phone
Avocado – 50 RWF
Loaf of bread – 300 RWF
Small tub of Margerine – 900RWF
Eggs – 100RWF each
Igitenge (clothe) – 3000RWF a panel ( a dress takes 2 panels)
Twege to the market – 300 RWF

These are the types of things I buy most often but there are obviously other expenses that come into our lives. Once we get to sight I will be buying a lot more groceries and furniture etc on my own. But by no means am I broke or starving for all of those who are worried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment