Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Perks of Being Muzungu


Despite all the obvious downsides of being so clearly different in this country today I’ve decided to look at the positives. So here they are:

-       Regardless of how many other people are on a twege (bus taxi) they will always either squish or remove another passenger to accommodate you. – Ya I know that sounds kind of awful but I treat it as my Karma for all of the bad things.
-       Women will always let you hold, carry, play with their cute babies. Even if it is just because they want to laugh at the image of a Muzungu holding their baby.
-       There are no lines in Rwanda, especially in stores or the markets, people essentially walk up to the counter as they see fit and any one who knows  the owner gets a free pass to the front of the line, which can only be trumped by the Muzungu card. Since as an American I am very used to lines and order I don’t feel all that bad about cutting to the front of the chaos.
-       All children want to play with you, all the time. Which is awesome when you are in the mood to play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment