Saturday, November 19, 2011

Story


Today another female trainee and  I were sitting in a bar when two Rwandans decided to join us. It is not all that uncommon and now that we speak Kinyarwanda I didn’t really mind. However, after a few greetings, one of the men pulled out a camera phone and took our picture. It was actually extremely liberating to realize my Kinyarwanda was good enough to demand the phone and explain that it was rude and creepy and that we were teachers who deserved respect. Also since I’ve become more comfortable I was able to snatch the phone out of his hand and delete the picture. After that little outburst the men were highly amused and actually talked to us more about what we were doing here and why (since we clearly weren’t tourists) so I guess theres the silver lining. Welcome to the life of a PCT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment