Friday, November 4, 2011

Model School



We started our first day of model school yesterday, meaning that I am officially team teaching a classroom full of Rwandan students with another trainee. Since the students are technically on their winter break we are actually teaching a group of children who volunteered to come to extra English lessons four hours a day during their holiday. Naturally this leads to some self-selection of the best and most motivated students so model school isn’t the best representation of a true classroom setting. Luckily because I am teaching in a boarding school some of this same weeding out process will contribute to the students in my permanent classroom as well. So far of our two lessons we’ve taught (each has lasted 2 hours) one was a total success and the other a total failure. I’m ok with that breakdown, however, because I know it is very indicative of my life as a peace corps volunteer on the whole. Some days will be incredible, some days you will change the world or a child’s life or a teacher’s mind, and other days you will mime adjectives for an hour and your students will be none the wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment