Saturday, November 19, 2011

Movies

Since we become prisoners to our homes at 6pm every night there is quite a large amount of time spent entertaining ourselves during the evenings - especially if you aren't excited by the prospect of stumbling through conversations in Kinyarwanda with your family for hours. Books and movies take up a lot of that time. AS a consequence of that the trade between trainees & PCVs of pirated movies and television is prolific. Somehow I have already gotten 100 plus movies. Quite often, however, I find myself focusing on inordinate amounts of attentions on minute details of scenes - basically anything that no longer exists in my life here or that I haven't given any thought to in the last two months. Most often though I end up focusing on the food the characters are eating. The insignificant prop of  sandwich or salad placed on a table completely distracts my attention from the dialogue as I begin to fantasize about spaghetti and marinara sauce . Its amazing and almost sad to recognize how much these details pull my attention. Its probably not a good sign for how I'll react when I actually return to America and experience these things first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment